Grant and Funding Opportunities for Employers
Oftentimes, businesses miss opportunities to reap the benefits of Government grants or funding. Whether they are hard to find or just haven’t come across your desk, I list some pertinent programs industry employers should know about.
Canada Alberta Job Grant
· Employers can cover up to $10,000 in training costs per employee each year (current or future workers). If hiring and training an unemployed Albertan, $15,000 per trainee
· Employers are limited to $300,000 of grant funding each fiscal year
· Covers tuition, instructional/examination fees, textbooks, software, training materials, and eligible travel costs
· Can cover the costs of MELT (Mandatory Entry-Level Training)
· Trainees must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Newly eligible are business owners and employed family members
· Must be 21 or more instructional hours, be completed within 52 weeks of the start date, and result in some credential
WCB Training on the Job Program (TOJ)
- Designed to help previously injured workers find suitable employment after being unable to return to their previous roles in the same capacity, pre-injury
- Workers develop skills and work experience, while employers substantially reduce recruiting time and money on training costs/wages during the placement period.
- Employers are protected against any injury or re-injury that might occur during the period
- Reduce your business WCB or industry premiums by taking part in the program
Alberta Jobs Now Program
- Private businesses and non-profit societies can apply for funding to reduce hiring and training costs for unemployed or underemployed Albertans in vacant or new positions. Extra funding is available for hiring people with disabilities
- Largest job training program in Alberta’s history. Aimed to support the province's economic recovery, help businesses re-open, expand their workforce, and give Albertans the opportunity to gain the skills needed to succeed in today’s job market.
- Employers can apply for a grant to offset salary, training costs, or both.
o 25% of a new hire’s salary up to $25,000 per employee
o 37.5% of the new hire's salary up to $37,500 per employee with a disability
- Apply for up to 20 full-time new hires per intake period
- Choose to have payments issued in 1 or 2 payments
Canada Recovery Benefit – income support for full-time, self-employed, or contract workers
- Support to employed and self-employed individuals who are directly affected by COVID-19 and are not entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
- Eligible CRB recipients can now apply for a total of 25 periods (50 weeks) between September 27, 2020, and September 25, 2021
- If you are eligible for the CRB, you can receive $1,000 ($900 after taxes withheld) for a 2-week period until you reach 21 periods (42 weeks)
- If you have already applied for 21 periods, or are applying for your first CRB period on or after period 22, you may receive $600 ($540 after taxes withheld) for a 2-week period
- You may re-apply up to a total of 25 eligibility periods (50 weeks) between September 27, 2020, and September 25, 2021
Alberta Export Expansion Program
- Funding to companies with the intention to enhance access to international markets, while looking to attract global buyers
- Promoting exports either through outbound international travel or bringing international buyers to Alberta
- Organizations may apply numerous times and be approved up to $25,000/year
- Eligible employers are Alberta small to medium-sized enterprises, industry associations, municipalities, indigenous communities, and economic development organizations
- Eligible sectors are in manufacturing, agriculture, energy, culture, technology, tourism, and the environment
Rapid Testing Program
- Employers can apply to implement a rapid COVID-19 testing program for their workforce with free test kits
- Rapid testing screening programs can identify pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic cases so they can prevent or stop the spread
- Eligible to the public, private, or not-for-profit employer or service provider with an approved COVID-19 screening program
- Prioritization will be given to vulnerable populations, essential services, high-risk workplaces, and sectors supporting economic recovery or development
Work Sharing Program
- Helps employers and employees avoid layoffs when there is a temporary decrease in business activity beyond the control of the employer. The program provides Employment Insurance (EI) benefits to eligible employees who agree to reduce their normal working hours and share the available work while their employer recovers
- With a work-sharing agreement, employees agree to work reduced hours while still being paid by the employer for those hours. The unworked hours will be covered by the Government of Canada through Employment Insurance funds
Business Improvement Grant (Edmonton)
- For commercial buildings and businesses requiring storefront, interior, or development grant money to renovate or update places of business
Calgary Investment Fund
- To attract investment, drive innovation, and spur transformative economic development in the city.
- Projects that receive OCIF backing are driving innovation and growing the ecosystems in key sectors that position Calgary to lead digital transformation in Canada’s industrial sectors.
Learn more about Oriana Kolonksy by following her on LinkedIn
The Truck Focus Podcast is a division of the Pivotal Transportation Industry Solutions company. We encourage you to learn more about our mission!
I am pleased to introduce you to Oriana Kolinsky, who will be writing regularly through the Truck Focus Blog platform!
Oriana is a Product Manager, Workforce Strategist, Labour Relations Expert, and Industry Advocate.
A 54-year-old Bartender is pumping out cocktails like a boss, when safety, technology and a millennial walk into a bar.
I am thrilled to have a good friend of mine on the Truck Focus Podcast today, Oriana Kolonsky!
DriverAppreciation #ThankATrucker #Alberta #British Columbia #Safety #SafeLocationToRest #Transportation #Trucking #Trucks #International #TruckingAdvocate #TransportationAdvocate #Alberta Transportation #BCTransportation #AlbertaProud #AFamilyMission #TruckFocusPodcast #ELD #Telematics #WinterDriving #WinterSafety #ProfessionalDrivers #Income #Job #TruckingJobs #TruckingJob #RemoveDemerits #DemeritRemoval #Training #OnlineTraining #ComplianceisAMindset #Compliance #AlbertaCompliance #Focus #Calgary #RockyViewCounty #Highway1 #Highwayone #RoadSafety #ProOil #Albertaproud #EnjoyTheJourney #TruckingIndustry #TransportationIndustry #CarrierCompliance #DriverCompliance